A collaborative restoration effort between the Museum of Modern Art's Conservation Department and Shelter Island metal artist Hap Bowditch Jr.
"After Johann Gutenberg printed the first Bible using movable type in the mid-1450's, the exorbitantly expensive, handmade, one of a kind Bibles would no longer be necessary. From then on, inexpensively produced Bibles would become increasingly available, in just about every language spoken, and not just to the privileged few."
Exhibitions of Medieval Biblical Masterworks - The New York Times
Hap was asked to recreate the brass corners in the same manner and appearance as the original brass corners. Metal corners were not only decorative but served to protect the leather binding by raising it off the surface of a desk or table. Notice one more modern corner remains on the Bible from an earlier attempt to replace a metal corner.
Hap Bowditch Jr , MoMA Conservationist, Gutenberg Bible owners Margaret & Erwin Zeuschner